Sunday, March 27, 2011

Phillip's Birthday

Today is Phillip's 23rd birthday. I think about him everyday and still can't believe he's not with us sometimes. I am reminded of him when I hear certain songs on the radio, such as "Who You'd Be Today" and "When I Get Where I'm Going". Sometimes I will see someone with his eyes or hair and I stop to look at them a little longer. Phillip had a beautiful smile but an even bigger heart. He never met a stranger and would share whatever he had. He seemed to always be in a good mood and was always joking around. I am so very happy I was able to have so many happy memories with him. I remember swimming at Patoka Lake, building forts in the house, moving around furniture when Dad didn't have a clue what was going on, and some of my favorite memories come from our trip to Mexico in the summer of 2001. He made me laugh nonstop when he quoted "The Rain Man" over and over again, he pretended to get eaten by sharks in the ocean, and of course when he ordered french toast and it turned out to be toasted french bread!

Our lives have changed so much in the five years he has been gone. I'm thankful he knew Jeremy before he passed away, but will always wonder what kind of an uncle he would have been to Abby. My dad took early retirement following Phillip's accident. My mom has switched jobs. My older brother has graduated college and has a job he really likes now. In the past five years we should have watched Phillip graduate high school and go on to college, work, or the military. I know he would have done great things if he were still here. In a way, he is still doing great things. My parents have set up and given away several scholarships in Phillip's name. There is a large clock in front of the high school with Phillip's name and picture on it. Most importantly, we donated some of Phillip's organs. I know he lives on in other people. And, like I said earlier, he would share whatever he had, even if it meant he was making a sacrifice. I hate it that Phillip had to leave us, but I know there is a reason. So many good things have happened since he left us, even though he is terribly missed.

There are many things that happen that make me feel like Phillip still has a hand in things. Immediately following his passing a stray cat showed up at our house. The day of his funeral, January 18th, I called the number on the tag. When the cat's owners called us back they informed us the cat had been missing since June! It felt so good to reunite that cat with it's owners when we were hurting so much. Abby says her "boy" teaches her how to make faces! I actually look forward to what will happen next, even though it used to scare me.

I want to wish Phillip a Happy Birthday in Heaven. I can picture him with all kinds of junk food and a big cake! We miss him, but know he will always be in our hearts. Love you, Phillip!

No comments:

Post a Comment