Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Abby's Angels

Monday morning I got a text message from Jeremy that said, "Abby says Papaw Reckelhoff gives her hugs and kisses."

A comment like this would have freaked me out a few months ago, but I've gotten used to her talking about Papaw R and her "boy". A week before Christmas Abby woke up early and we went in the bathroom; I was half asleep. She will sit on her potty and play for a while before I give up and put her diaper back on her. Abby was reading her Abby Cadabby book and out of nowhere she says, "There's my boy!" and pointed towards the sink in the bathroom. I asked her who she was talking about because we didn't have any boy babydolls and she had never mentioned her "boy" before. She says again, "There's my boy!" and again I question her who she's talking about. She clarifies, "The boy that fell out of the car." I was stunned and shocked and definitely wide awake at that point. My younger brother had passed away in a car accident in January of 2006. She had never met him and had only seen pictures of Phillip. I knew she had to be talking about him and I was in disbelief. I tried to get more information out of her and said, "What boy fell out of a car?" Abby decided to change the subject. She said, "Papaw visit me.", jumped off the potty, and ran out of the bathroom. She had to have been talking about Jeremy's dad, Tom, who had passed away in August 2008 when I was pregnant with her.

Over the past few months Abby will talk about Papaw R or her "boy" several more times. One day she said Papaw was in the window and he waved to her. She says her boy plays games with her and teaches her to make faces. I always knew the people we miss that are in heaven are watching over all of us. I hoped they were close by. Now I have proof they are with us always.

I started this blog to remember the special times we have with Abby and our family & friends. These memories definitely need to be treasured because I am not sure when she will stop talking about Papaw Reckelhoff or her "boy".

Papaw Reckelhoff
July 2006

Phillip and Kristen
August 2004

1 comment:

  1. This post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete