Sunday, June 8, 2014

Off to Disney...

Today could have turned out to be the worst day of my life...luckily everyone is safe and healthy. 

We went to visit my best friend, Jennifer, and her family for a long weekend. Her daughter is 2 months older than Abby and they are best friends when they are together. They get along great and keep each other entertained the entire time. The only complaints are because they play long into the night and are then exhausted the next day. And, her older brother feels left out. Jennifer and her family are going to Disney in two weeks for a family vacation. Immediately upon arrival Abby and Lily started planning their very own Disney trip. It was very cute and fun. Then, we noticed after nap time that the girls had broken colored pencils into small pieces. When we asked why it was 'to give us splinters so we would be busy and they could go to Disney without us seeing them leave.' At this point we tell the girls that it's a bit out of hand and they need to back off a but. The next day the girls played outside for the entire afternoon, planted flowers, and again laid down for rest time together...this time in front of the adults. 

Fast forward to this morning. As I was sleeping on the fold out couch and Jennifer & Darin were slowly waking up for the day in their bedroom the girls were packing a suitcase and snacks for their trip to Disney! I woke up to Dillon telling me Abby went outside by herself. In my half awake state I was upset, but thankful they were just in the backyard. Then I was informed that, no, they were down the street about to cross a street. And that Hannah was with them! The girls were still in pajamas with slipper and their suitcase, baby stroller, and gummy snacks. It was raining. They were entirely too far away from the house and too close to the highway. 

Both sets of parents keep saying it doesn't matter whose idea it was, but neither of the girls would come up with this independently. Abby had just complained of shadows bothering her the night before!! Basically, the two girls are way too mischievous when together! 

They were gone less than 10 minutes but the what ifs keep racing through my mind. From what the girls said, they decided to come back home, but were having trouble corralling Hannah back. Those girls are my life. Lily is like an extension of my family. I can't imagine how I would hold myself together if something bad had happened to them. I'm so very grateful they are safe. 

A part of me wants to confine Abby to the house for the rest of her life. Another part thinks 'wow! She's creative, and brave, and loyal' Yet another part thinks she's a kid and needs to make mistakes. Just not dangerous mistakes that could potentially be life changing.

This mommy job is insanely hard. I still haven't figured out a punishment I feel suitable yet. I'm not sure how I can sleep tonight!! But mostly, I'm happy I'm able to tuck these kiddos in another night. Thank you, God!

No comments:

Post a Comment